Several businesses across the D.C. area are offering furloughed federal employees free food and services as they face the government shutdown. Many of the offers are limited to government workers, but some seek to provide comfort for all.
- Furloughed federal government and D.C. government workers can get a free burger at Z-Burger locations in Arlington, Columbia Heights, Southwest and Tenleytown. The burgers will be offered every day of the shutdown from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. and from 5 until 7 p.m. You must show your government ID.
- Taylor Gourmet is offering furloughed federal workers “a 10 percent discount, career counseling and a cookie” with the purchase of any hoagie or salad.
- Anyone with a government ID can get three free empanadas with any purchase at Sophie ‘s Cuban DC on Thursday, Oct. 3.
- Sixth and I Historic Synagogue is opening “Shutdown Central” for the duration of the shutdown. Anyone can come in for “Political Ping Pong, bipartisan board games, reading materials, constant streaming of The West Wing.” Free coffee, food, and WiFi will also be provided.
- Mockingbird Hill is offering a free glass of sherry to federal employees who show their ID as long as the shutdown lasts.
- Looking to relieve some stress? Potomac Pilates is offering two free classes to furloughed federal employees. Click here for more information.
- Show your government ID at Sprinkles and you can get a free cupcake Tuesday.
- Pork Barrel BBQ is offering all government employees – well, except Congressmen – a free pulled pork sandwich each day of the shutdown. You must have a government ID.