The Buffalo State College chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. has reportedly been suspended after a student with a promising future died in the midst of pledging the fraternity.
Bradley Doyley, 21, was a senior business major and basketball player who was expected to graduate this spring. During an off campus hazing activity, Bradley was allegedly forced to drink what would be a fatal cocktail. The contents of the mixture have not been released.
As a result, according to NY Daily News, Bradley began coughing up blood and was admitted to Buffalo General Hospital on January 29. Family friend Michael Panton shared that prior to his passing, Bradley was taken into emergency surgery where his stomach was cut open. He died on Thursday, February 18.
A spokesperson for the college has since released a statement that Bradley was not pledging, “He had not completed the application process with the national fraternity.”
One of Bradley’s colleagues however, tells a different story. “I was in the weight room and heard he was pledging and was made to drink some type of toxic substance,” said Dametrius Brown, a member of the college football team, “I keep hearing different stories. First it was detergent, then some said sewer water.”
The NY Daily News also reports that Bradly is rumored to have drank bleach.
While officials with the national chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha, which was founded in 1906, declined to comment on Bradley’s death, they have said that the fraternity “does not condone and strictly prohibits any illegal acts, including hazing.”
This isn’t the first time the organization has been linked to hazing allegations. Here are the details of two more recent incidents:
An Alpha pledge sued the organization in 2014 after claiming he was hazed while trying to join the Bowie State University chapter. Kevin Hayes filed a $3 million lawsuit, claiming he was beaten and spanked with a wooden paddle on a daily basis in 2013 and instructed not to tell anyone.
While it may take time to sort out how Bradley died, his family has just begun their grieving process. Bradley was the youngest of seven kids, born to Jamaican parents. “His [family is] devastated, his sister is broken, his brother is hurt,” said Marsha Green, Bradley’s cousin. “He was their baby, he had such a bright future. No one was expecting this.”
Additional Source: Huffington Post
Fraternity Suspended After College Student Dies While Being Hazed was originally published on hellobeautiful.com
17 Top Resurrection Sunday Songs
WPRS/WYCB Are Giving A Black History Salute To Churches In The DMV [Submit Your Church Here]
Dr Myles Munroe, Daughter And Wife Killed In Airplane Accident
The Willie Moore Jr. Show
Inspirational Lifestyles: Be Still and Know - Held in His Hand (Jan. 24th)
BREAKING: 3 Police Officers Shot In SE DC While Serving Animal Cruelty Warrant
Text & Title 1-28-24
Lecrae, Tye Tribbett & Kirk Franklin Among 2024 Gospel Grammy Winners