The summer television season is officially in full swing and one of the most anticipated new shows of the season makes its debut on the OWN Network tonight. Greenleaf has all the makings of a show that will have you addicted in no time, thanks to a star-studded cast and a highly entertaining script.
Before finding out why you shouldn’t miss tonight’s premiere of Greenleaf, Shadow and Act offers an in-depth look at the series, including interviews with Oprah Winfrey, Lynn Whitfield and series writer/producer Craig Wright.
The show’s synopsis is dripping with drama, deeply hidden secrets and lies. Centered around a southern megachurch, Greenleaf is the journey of estranged daughter and disillusioned preacher Grace Greenleaf (played by Merle Dandridge) who has returned home after 20 years on the occasion of the mysterious death of her sister, Faith. As she reenters the world of Calvary Fellowship World Ministries, the Memphis megachurch run by her powerful parents, Bishop James Greenleaf (Keith David) and Lady Mae Greenleaf (Lynn Whitfield), it becomes evident that things are not as virtuous as they seem and that the family’s outward display of faith hides sin and misdeeds.
Oprah Winfrey stated just how excited she is about the series and what motivated her to do it while speaking at a press junket.
I’m really excited, Craig [Wright] and I met when we were doing the series “Belief”, and we had a conversation about not just his background as a writer, but the fact that he spent a lot of time as a minster in a church. So, we had this conversation about church and what Black church in particular means to [the Black] community. We started going back and forth about it. He said, “That sounds like a series.” And I said, “I think it is”, and that’s how it started.
As if you needed any more incentive to tune in, here are the Top 5 Reasons to check out the Greenleaf premiere tonight.
1. It is Oprah Winfrey’s first scripted television role in almost 20 years. Her last scripted television role was in the 1997 ABC TV movie Before Women Had Wings.
2. Lynn Whitfield in another mother-you-love-to-hate role that she plays so well. Lynn Whitfield has an impressive resume of very strong female roles, but there is something special she brings to matriarchs who are less than flattering.
3. Breakout star Merle Dandridge as the estranged daughter at the center of the series. Dandridge has had many acting roles prior to Greenleaf, but her compelling performance in the show is set to make her a household name.
4. Emmy-nominated writer/producer Craig Wright is helming the series and bringing all of his talent with him. His previous successful shows include ABC’s Lost and HBO’s Six Feet Under.
5. The deep look into the inner workings of a Southern megachurch that many outsiders are unfamiliar with and many attendees are anxious to see played out on screen.
For more on Greenleaf visit Shadow and Act and don’t for get to check out the premiere tonight at 10pm on OWN.
Check out today’s Top Stories here:
5 Reasons Not to Miss Tonight’s Premiere of “Greenleaf” was originally published on hellobeautiful.com
17 Top Resurrection Sunday Songs
LaTocha Talks To Cheryl Jackson About Her Passion To Do Gospel and Inspirational Music
T.D. Jakes’ Daughter Announces Divorce, Cites ‘Multiple Infractions’ With NFL Hubby
Kirk Franklin Becomes First Artist To Spend 100 Weeks At Number 1 On Songwriters Chart
It's Been 15 Years Since The Death Of ‘Steve Harvey Show’ Star Merlin Santana
Ruth E. Carter Makes Black History At The Oscars
Dr Myles Munroe, Daughter And Wife Killed In Airplane Accident
See Who's Performing At The 2023 She Is... Women's Empowerment Summit