A police report states that tennis star Venus Williams is “at fault” for a car accident, which caused a 78-year-old man to suffer injuries that later claimed his life, ABC News reports.
The Palm Beach Gardens Police report, obtained by ABC, said the collision occurred on June 9 and identified the accident victim as Jerome Barson, who was a passenger in the vehicle driven by his wife, Linda Barson.
Williams told investigators that backed-up traffic forced her to stop in the middle of the intersection, and she did not see Barson’s vehicle coming when she began moving again. Barson drove into the intersection when her light turned green and T-boned Williams’ SUV.
CNN reported that the couple was hospitalized immediately after the crash, and Jerome Barson died two weeks later.
“[Williams] is at fault for violating the right of way of [the other driver],” the police report stated. The reports also said neither driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol or distracted by electronic devices.
A lawyer representing Williams, Malcolm Cunningham, underscored that the police did not charge his client with a traffic violation. He said the tennis player entered the intersection on a green light and drove at 5 miles per hour.
“This is an unfortunate accident and Venus expresses her deepest condolences to the family who lost a loved one,” he said, according to ABC.
CNN reported that Linda Barson’s attorney, Michael Steinger, stated that Jerome Barson had multiple surgeries over two weeks before succumbing to injuries.
“Mrs. Barson is suffering intense grief and doesn’t know how she will go on,” he said, adding that the couple was married for 35 years.
SOURCE: ABC News, CNN
Serena & Venus Williams’ Dad Files For Divorce From His Wife
#SisterLove: Venus and Serena Williams Advance To Face Each Other In Australian Open Final
Announcer Who Referred To Venus Williams As A ‘Gorilla’ Removed From Tennis Coverage
Serena & Venus Williams’ Best Tennis Outfits Through The Years
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Remember when…Serena and Venus came onto the scene in the late 1990s wearing beads and braids?
1 of 25
2. Serena sports one of her classic Puma tennis dresses at the 1999 US Open
2 of 25
3. Venus rocks a cutout tennis dress at the 1999 Grand Slam Cup
3 of 25
4. A young Serena Williams wears a two-tone tennis dress at the 2000 Australian Open
4 of 25
5. Venus rocks one of her signature cutout tennis outfits at Wimbledon in 2000
5 of 25
6. Serena goes pastel purple at the eStyle.Com Classic in 2000
6 of 25
7. Venus and Serena looked super stylish at the 2000 Sydney Olympics
7 of 25
8. Serena is pretty in pink 2001 French Open
8 of 25
9. Venus rocks a spaghetti strap halter at the 2001 US Open
9 of 25
10. Serena celebrates her 2002 Wimbledon win in a traditional (but not-so-traditional) white tennis outfit
10 of 25
11. Serena is just a peach at the 2002 Home Depot Championships
11 of 25
12. Serena’s orange and white 2003 Wimbledon Puma outfit
12 of 25
13. Serena rocks a metallic empire waist at the Women’s Telecom Italia Tennis Masters in 2004
13 of 25
14. Serena wins in her gorgeous 2004 Wimbledon outfit
14 of 25
15. Serena rocks a denim tennis outfit at the 2004 US open Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day
15 of 25
16. Serena celebrates in this cute Nike ensemble at the 2005 Australian Open
16 of 25
17. Serena experiments with a little color blocking at the 2009 French Open
17 of 25
18. Venus gets sexy on the court at the 2010 Sony Ericsson Open
18 of 25
19. Venus rocks a double slit tennis dress while playing with her sister at the 2010 Australian Open
19 of 25
20. Serena goes pink on pink at the 2013 US Open
20 of 25
21. Serena looks gorgeous in Pink Cheetah at the 2014 US Open
21 of 25
22. More cheetah for Serena at the 2014 US Open
22 of 25
23. Serena wears a yellow crop top at the 2016 Australian Open
23 of 25
24. Serena and Venus get braided up in preparation for Rio Olympics
24 of 25
25. Serena Williams represents Team USA at the 2016 Rio Olympics
25 of 25
Venus Williams Blamed In Fatal Car Accident was originally published on hellobeautiful.com