Every week on “This Is Us” fans watch Susan Kelechi Watson as “Beth” and take in the moments she shares with Sterling K. Brown. According to Madame Noire, the 36-year-old actress went on “Live! With Kelly and Ryan” to talk about not only the show, but things we might not know about her. Watson talked about a time while at Howard University where her and some classmates were picked to study William Shakespeare at the University of Oxford.
The group couldn’t afford it, but some well known actors and actresses made it happen for the group. She said, “When we were at Howard, there were like 10 of us who had the opportunity to learn Shakespeare at Oxford for the summer. They didn’t have many minority students, much less people from a historically Black university go. We were one of the inaugural groups to go. But none of us had the extra money to go. Each person, it was like $5,000 per person or something like that. I remember a friend of mine reached out to Phylicia Rashad, who is also an alumni of Howard, and got on the phone with Phylicia and Phylicia was like, ‘Oh no you’re going!’ And we were like,”Ok…” She was like, ‘I will call you back.’”
She got a phone call back and found out Denzel Washington was also helping them fund the trip. Years later Watson got the opportunity to meet him and she thanked him for the opportunity and he responded back laughing saying, “Yeah, you’re welcome.” It was an opportunity she will never forget.
- Children’s Book Inspired By ‘The 1619 Project’ To Hit Shelves This Fall
- U.S. To Remove Thousands Of Haitians In Texas Seeking Asylum, But ‘There Is Nothing To Go Back To’
- Nene Leakes Describes “New Normal” After Losing Husband Gregg Leakes To Cancer
- Wendy Williams Hospitalized For Psychiatric Evaluation While Also Battling COVID
- CBS to Retool ‘The Activist’ From Competition to Documentary Following Backlash
- REPORT: ‘Jeopardy!’ Will Have Only Two Guest Hosts For The Time Being
- Sephora Launches The Sephora Favorites Black-Owned Beauty Kit, Highlighting Black-Owned Businesses
- Texas Voting Law Shows How The GOP Has Depended On Racism To Keep White People In Power
- School Committee ‘Karen’ Is Humbled After Questioning Ivy League-Educated Black Mom’s Qualifications
- Masks Now Required In All Maryland Public Schools
Everything You Never Knew About ‘This Is Us’ TV Dad Ron Cephas Jones
1. ‘This Is Us’ makes Jones cry, too.
Source: 1 of 11
2. Jones’ acting credits go way, way back.
Source: 2 of 11
3. Jones is also a formidable theater and TV vet.Source: 3 of 11
4. Jones shares a real life connection with his TV son, Sterling K. Brown.Source: 4 of 11
5. Jones was recognized at this year’s Emmys.Source: 5 of 11
6. Jones has a daughter who takes after him in the acting department.Source: 6 of 11
7. Jasmine is really proud of her dad’s hard work and success.
Source: 7 of 11
8. Jones is an East Coast fella.Source: 8 of 11
9. The script is what got Jones excited about ‘This Is Us.’
Source: 9 of 11