Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
Rewind to 1994 to when screenwriter and producer of the film ‘Harriet’ Gregory Allen was shopping the film around to movie executives, yes it sounds crazy that a film sometimes takes this long to get picked up but hear us out.
According to Entertainment Weekly, in a recent interview, Allen recalled that Hollywood was “very different” in the mid-90s. So different that a suggestion was made to Allen about who the lading role of Harriet Tubman should be in his film, Julia Roberts!
“I was told how one studio head said in a meeting, ‘This script is fantastic. Let’s get Julia Roberts to play Harriet Tubman,’” Allen explained. “When someone pointed out that Roberts couldn’t be Harriet, the executive responded, ‘It was so long ago. No one is going to know the difference.’”
Can you imagine?! Thank God the film took twenty-five years to get picked up and Cynthia Erivo was chosen to play Harriet Tubman.
- Howard University Swim Team Will Make History During Hall of Fame Weekend
- Scriptures & Resources To Turn To For Seasonal Depression
- Master Your Fall Skincare With Tips From Professional Makeup Artist Sheceria Chamblis
- Alabama Inmates Launch State-Wide Strike In Protest For Better Living Conditions
- “The Hair Tales” Trailer Is Here! Get A Glimpse At Hulu & OWN’s Six-Part Series Celebrating Black Beauty
- Dr. Collier Talks About The Cure Of Sickle Cell During National Sickle Cell Awareness Month [WATCH]
- Fisk University Welcomes the Largest Freshmen Class in Over 40 Years
- Platinum-Selling Gospel Jazz Music Mogul Ben Tankard Launching SMOOTH LIFE TV NETWORK
- CeCe Winans Set to Hit the Road with First National Tour in Over A Decade!
- New Area Code Coming To Parts Of Maryland In 2023
Say What?! Julia Roberts Was Suggested to Play Harriet Tubman in Movie was originally published on mycolumbusmagic.com