Mayor Muriel Bowser wants to make it easier to hold criminal suspects in custody, toughen the laws against possessing firearms, and create additional barriers for those convicted of major crimes to be released from prison early.
The ideas are part of a larger package of legislation aimed at enhancing public safety that the mayor presented this afternoon. According to the police, a string of break-ins have harmed local businesses. Bowser expressed her hope that the measure would be enacted into law by the D.C. Council this summer.
Bowser’s bill, which she referred to as “common sense legislation,” lays out her ideas for tackling the city’s public safety issues going ahead. The bill would do the following:
– Increase penalties for crimes that target certain populations, including residents with physical and mental impairments, transit and for-hire vehicle workers, transit passengers, and people at rec centers
– Increase penalties for illegal gun possession
– Make strangulation a felony assault
– Make it easier for judges to deny the petitions of people seeking reduced sentences after 15 years in prison
– Give judges more discretion to have children accused of crimes detained ahead of trial
– Increase the amount of reimbursement residents can get for installing private security cameras outside their homes
– Require the city’s Criminal Justice Coordinating Council to release more data on the city’s criminal justice system and juvenile justice system.
- Starbucks Reveals First Accessible Store In D.C.
- Unions Oppose Plan To Relocate Washington Wizards And Capitals To Potomac Yard
- Virginia Senate Considers Bill To Cover College Housing Costs For Foster Youth
- DC’s Daily Rider Bike Shop Burglarized For The 3rd Time
- Maryland Fisherman Shatters State Record With Massive Rainbow Trout Catch: ‘Feels Good’
- Drivers Registering Cars In Virginia To Avoid Insurance Cost In Their Home States
- Sticky Fingers To Close Due To Crime Surge On H Street
- Become A Partner In Hope With St. Jude & Praise 104.1
- BREAKING: 3 Police Officers Shot In SE DC While Serving Animal Cruelty Warrant
- DC Ranks 2nd In US Cities For Traffic Congestions
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Content in Your Inbox:
Mayor Bowser Proposes Tougher Gun Penalties & More Pretrial Detention In New Legislation was originally published on woldcnews.com
17 Top Resurrection Sunday Songs
WPRS/WYCB Are Giving A Black History Salute To Churches In The DMV [Submit Your Church Here]
Dr Myles Munroe, Daughter And Wife Killed In Airplane Accident
The Willie Moore Jr. Show
Inspirational Lifestyles: Be Still and Know - Held in His Hand (Jan. 24th)
BREAKING: 3 Police Officers Shot In SE DC While Serving Animal Cruelty Warrant
Keep The Romance Alive | Dr. Willie Jolley
Text & Title 1-28-24