Georgetown University’s Women’s Basketball coach Tasha Butts died on Monday, October 23rd after a battle of 2-years with breast cancer. Last month she stepped away from coaching at Georgetown, leading up to her 2 year diagnosis of advanced-stage breast cancer in 2021. Her diagnosis inspired the Tasha Tough campaign (pictured above), which brings awareness and raises money to bring quality care to women who can’t afford it through the Kay Yow Cancer Fund.
“I am heartbroken for Tasha’s family, friends, players, teammates and colleagues,” Georgetown athletic director Lee Reed said. “When I met Tasha, I knew she was a winner on the court, and an incredible person whose drive, passion and determination was second to none. She exhibited these qualities both as a leader and in her fight against breast cancer. This is a difficult time for the entire Georgetown community, and we will come together to honor her memory.”
Tasha came to Georgetown from Georgia Tech in April of 2023 after a long coaching and professional WNBA career. She was chosen 20th by the Minnesota Lynx in the 2004 draft. She played for Minnesota, Charlotte and Houston, and she also played internationally before going into coaching as an assistant at Duquesne in 2007. She then joined the Georgia Tech women’s basketball staff as an assistant coach in April 2019, and was promoted to associate head coach two years later.
Tasha Butts was 41 and survived by her parents, Spencer Sr. and Evelyn, her brother, Spencer Jr. and her nephew, Marquis.
- Washington Wizards Deni Avdija Disappointed In DC Sports Fan Culture But Has Hopes On Improvement
- Adam Silver Hints At The NBA Expanding With Teams In Mexico City, Vancouver and Montreal
- Exploring The History Of The NBA’s Lack Of Black Ownership
- NBA Under Investigation By DOJ For Alleged Violations Targeting BIG3 League
- Georgetown’s Tasha Butts Dies At 41 From Breast Cancer
- CIAA Basketball Tournament Is Returning To Baltimore In 2024
- Former NFL Star Turned Actor Thomas Q. Jones Narrates ‘Next Man Up’ Docuseries
- New Details Emerge In The Death Of Former Washington Football Player Dwayne Haskins
- Sunken Place Chronicles: Sage Steele Leaves ESPN, Suggests ‘First Amendment Rights’ Were Blocked
- MCPS Launches Enhanced Sports Medicine Athletic Training Program For Schools
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Content in Your Inbox:
Georgetown’s Tasha Butts Dies At 41 From Breast Cancer was originally published on kysdc.com
Bishop Carlton Pearson Headed For Divorce
The DMV Salutes Richard Smallwood For His 75th Birthday! (LIVE STREAM)
T.D. Jakes’ Daughter Announces Divorce, Cites ‘Multiple Infractions’ With NFL Hubby
Turkey Taboos: 10 Things You Should Never Do At Thanksgiving
Top 10 Gospel Christmas Songs
The Willie Moore Jr. Show
3 ‘Karens’ And A ‘Karen’ Cop: These Viral Videos Show Why Racial Profiling Reports Still Matter
Bishop Carlton D. Pearson Dies At 70 After Battle With Cancer