Born in Mexico to Kenyan parents and raised in Kenya, actress Lupita Nyong’o has an affinity towards her home. It’s no wonder she is on a quest to save the elephants: in 2000, there were a few million African elephants left in the wild. Today, there are less than one million. Poachers are killing the gentle giants for their ivory.
The actress, 33, serves as the Global Ambassador for Wild Aid, an organization whose mission is to end illegal wildlife trade. While in Nairobi, Kenya, last June, Lupita visited the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, a sanctuary for elephants whose mothers have been killed by poachers.
“The fact that [the elephants] have a home and a place where they can be nurtured, loved, and taken care of is so important. And, honestly, they were just adorable. I loved being there,” Lupita gushed regarding her time at the wildlife sanctuary.
Lupita said this is a trip she will not soon forget.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Instagram
La La, Lupita Nyong’o, & More Celebrities Hit Opening Night Of “Eclipsed”
1. Lupita in green.Source: 1 of 10
2. Lupita Nyong’o x Danai GuriraSource: 2 of 10
3. Danai Gurira shows off her beautiful smile.Source: 3 of 10
4. Naturi NaughtonSource: 4 of 10
5. John TurturroSource: 5 of 10
6. Slay, La.Source: 6 of 10
7. Stephen Byrd & guestSource: 7 of 10
8. La La, accompanied by her brother Christian.Source: 8 of 10
9. La La x Michael K. Williams x Rohan MarleySource: 9 of 10
10. La La stands by her mom and brother.Source: 10 of 10
#WorldElephantDay: Lupita Nyong’o Teams Up With Wild Aid To Save These Gentle Giants was originally published on hellobeautiful.com