“Black Panther” is only a couple of days away from being released in theaters and fans are ready. Recently a petition circled around on Change.org calling on Marvel Studios as well as The Walt Disney Company to give 25% of the profits from the film to the Black community. In an article on Huffington Post they state a user named Chaz Gormley created the petition.
Gormley is calling for profits because the movie directly targets the Black community. The petition says, “Through a clever, well-manufactured marketing campaign Marvel Studios and their parent company The Walt Disney Company have targeted the Black community with their advertisements for the upcoming ‘Black Panther’ film, due to release on February 16, 2018. As marginalized groups have become more vocal, corporations and their savvy public relations departments have turned to catering to these groups – to turn a profit – and this film by Marvel Studios is no different.”
He also mentions that because the film is coming out during Black History Month, the director is Black as well as most of the cast it is only right that the community profits from it. The petition now has over 600 signatures and is using certain hashtags such as #BreakBreadMarvel on social media. Do you agree with this petition?
- Shirley Caesar Talks About Finding Good Amid COVID-19, Overcoming Racism
- Will It Work? CAREN Act Is Introduced As Viral ‘Karen’ Videos Surge
- Amy Cooper AKA “Central Park Karen” Will Be Charged With Filing A False Police Report
- Maryland Biotech Companies Helping Develop COVID-19 Vaccine
- Rickey Smiley Challenges Black Communities ‘To Get These Hoodlums Out’ After Daughter’s Shooting
- Police Chief Defends New York Cop Shown Kneeling On Black Man’s Head In Viral Arrest Video
- Four Jimmy John Employees Fired After Making Noose Out of Food
- Jeff Johnson On How White Supremacy Impacts The Community and How To Fight It [WATCH]
- Counselor Yunetta Spring On How To Deal With PTSD After Traumatic Events [EXCLUSIVE AUDIO]
- Money Matters With Jini Thornton: Why #BlackOutDay2020 Is Important To The Community [WATCH]