Ohio Democratic Senator Tina Maharath broke down in session today while having discussions about racism. This session was being held to further discuss the proposal to declare racism a public health crisis.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
Senator Maharath fears that sending her child back to school will lead to racism due to President Trump continuing to refer to COVID-19 as “kung-flu” or the “Chinese Virus”. Senator Maharath is Ohio’s first Asian American lawmaker and serves the 3rd district.
Senator Maharath was attending an Ohio Senate Health Committee meeting and listening to guests sharing how racism has impacted their lives. Senator Maharath was taken back by the stories shared saying, “My son is 8 years old, He’s about to go to school and probably have the same thing that happened to you. It breaks my heart. It breaks my heart to know that they’re telling us to go back to China. They’re telling us this is a Chinese virus.” Senator Maharath also shared some of her feelings on Twitter
After her tweet Senator Maharath started to receive many tweets of support.
President Trump continues to stand behind his racist language as he blames China for the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Shirley Caesar Talks About Finding Good Amid COVID-19, Overcoming Racism
- Will It Work? CAREN Act Is Introduced As Viral ‘Karen’ Videos Surge
- Amy Cooper AKA “Central Park Karen” Will Be Charged With Filing A False Police Report
- Maryland Biotech Companies Helping Develop COVID-19 Vaccine
- Rickey Smiley Challenges Black Communities ‘To Get These Hoodlums Out’ After Daughter’s Shooting
- Police Chief Defends New York Cop Shown Kneeling On Black Man’s Head In Viral Arrest Video
- Four Jimmy John Employees Fired After Making Noose Out of Food
- Jeff Johnson On How White Supremacy Impacts The Community and How To Fight It [WATCH]
- Counselor Yunetta Spring On How To Deal With PTSD After Traumatic Events [EXCLUSIVE AUDIO]
- Money Matters With Jini Thornton: Why #BlackOutDay2020 Is Important To The Community [WATCH]