Maryland Governor Wes Moore introduced the nation’s first public service year program for high school graduates, named the Service Year Option, at a lively event in the University of Maryland’s Reckord Armory. Joined by prominent figures like Lieutenant Governor Aruna Miller and University President Darryll Pines, Governor Moore emphasized the program’s focus on developing essential skills and fostering a sense of community.
The initiative, led by the Department of Service and Civic Innovation, aims to expand service opportunities, address community needs, and promote workforce development, laying the foundation for higher education and vocational pathways.
Participants, recent high school graduates, work a minimum of 30 hours per week, earning at least $15 an hour, while receiving tailored support and mentorship to shape their post-service journeys.
source: The DMV Daily
- Jackson State Paid $800K To End Decades-Long HBCU Football Tradition, Documents Show
- Virginia Music Teacher Wins The 2024 Grammy Music Educator Award
- Students At 8 D.C. Middle Schools Qualify For $22K College Scholarships
- Governor Wes Moore’s Vision For Graduates Comes To Life Through Groundbreaking Program
- Arlington County Enhances School Zone Safety With Speed Hump Installations
- Howard County Public School Changes Start Times Amid Issues With School Bus Services
- Empowering Black Students For Success: 10 Back-To-School Confidence Boosters
- 8 Tips To Get You and/or Your Kids To Sleep On School Nights
- 5 Back To School Safety Tips Amid Rising Covid Cases
- Beyoncé Teams Up With DSDT School In Detroit To Award Students $10,000 Scholarships
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Content in Your Inbox:
17 Top Resurrection Sunday Songs
WPRS/WYCB Are Giving A Black History Salute To Churches In The DMV [Submit Your Church Here]
Dr Myles Munroe, Daughter And Wife Killed In Airplane Accident
The Willie Moore Jr. Show
Inspirational Lifestyles: Be Still and Know - Held in His Hand (Jan. 24th)
BREAKING: 3 Police Officers Shot In SE DC While Serving Animal Cruelty Warrant
Text & Title 1-28-24
Lecrae, Tye Tribbett & Kirk Franklin Among 2024 Gospel Grammy Winners